Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bird Seed Cookies





Spring is here, finally!  Feathered friends will be hunting for food, so my grandchildren and I spent this week-end making cookies for the birds.  Don't they look adorable hanging from the trees. 


I thought you would love the recipe to make these treats for your backyard friends too.  Here's what you will need:

  • 3/4 Cup flour
  • 1/2 Cup water
  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 3 TBS Karo corn syrup
  • 4 cups of wild birdseed
  • Mixing bowl
  • Wax paper or non-stick spray
  • Cookie Sheet
  • cookie cutters

Put all of the ingredients in a bowl except bird seed and mix until well combined.  Mix in  birdseed.  Spray your cookie sheet with the non-stick spray or line with the wax paper.  Spread the bird feed evenly on the cookie sheet.  Use the cutters to cut out shapes.  You may find it easier to fill the cookie cutters by the spoonful.   Fill the cutters completely and pack down, so they will be nice and thick.   


                                                     My grandson mixing the ingredients


                                           My 1 year old granddaughter wanted to mix too

We used a birdhouse, bird and the sun cookie cutters to create the treats.  Use whatever you have on hand that the kids will enjoy using.  Once the cookies are created, use a straw to make a hole at the top of each cookie.  Allow the treats to harden over night.  Once the cookies become hard, place twine through the hole of each cookie.  Place them on tree branches and bushes, and go bird watching.  My grandson thinks the cookies are cool, and enjoys watching the birds eat the treats through the windows.   




This is a fun craft to make throughout the year and especially on rainy days.  Get the kids involved in gardening and nature.  Be sure to make extra, you can keep them in the freezer and use them to feed our feathered friends throughout the year.   Does anyone know the species of the bird in the top photos?

                                                                        [signatureformother2motherwithmugb.png]

12 comments:

  1. Great idea we will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have fun making these with various cookie cutters, and the birds love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like fun! I can't wait to try it. I always feed the birds at my house and down at my community garden plots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like they were fun to make and they are cute too. Happy birds at your house I'm sure. Nice that they can be stored to put out as needed. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandkids are cute! That's a great idea. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, you will have fun making these adorable treats. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grandkids are so adorable! What a blessed grandma you are! And what a fun activity. The bird looks like an adult female Northern Cardinal. The females have more brown and muted colors with a bright red beak while the males are bright red all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I am a blessed grandmother. I adore those babies, and always have a great time doing activities with them. A female cardinal, I checked it out and I think you're right. The cardinal is our state bird. I don't think that I've ever seen the female up close, the males are abundant in my yard. Thanks for identifying my feathered friend.

      Delete
  8. The kids had a great time, even the baby. The birds will love the seed cakes. It is great to get the little ones involved to help foster a love of nature, not to mention the good memories with grandma. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the baby had the best time. She sat in her high chair the entire time that we were making them. I love exposing them to different things. I think it's important to make memories for them. I treasure my memories at my grandparents.

      Delete
  9. I use to make bird treats during the winter with peanut butter. I haven't thought about making treats for the summer until today... Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    I love birds and bird watching. I have my regulars but haven't had time to post them....The female Cardinal which is the one in your photo often visits my balcony with her mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another blogger identified the bird in the photo as the female cardinal too. First time I've ever seen one, and it's our state bird, hehe. Enjoy the recipe.

      Delete